Wednesday 3 July 2013

A rosy glow.

My world smells lovely at the moment.

Can you ever have too many roses?  I suppose the answer to that question depends on how much you can stomach squishing greenfly between your thumb and forefinger, as that seems to be a fairly incessant task at present.

Have been cutting my Constance Spry, Gertrude Jekylls, New Dawn and Falstaff to make some lovely scented bunches for my market stall, and have even braved the thorny stems of the picture perfect noisette, Felicite Parmentier - so blush pink and lovely despite the spikes.

Soft pink roses in rosy bone china by Tuckshop Flowers
New Dawn and Contance Spry - soft, pink and lovely.

Finding the perfect cups to match them is always fun - I don't especially like Royal Albert's 'Old Rose' pattern, but you would think it had been designed specially to host Falstaff and Absolutely Fabulous, my yellow stalwart.

Matching flowers to their containers is always fun!  Tuckshop Flowers
Dark Falstaff roses with the yellow floribunda Absolutely Fabulous

On the back of all this romantic rosiness, I even braved a trip to the rather gorgeous local wedding shop last week to offer them a weekly bunch in exchange for displaying my card.  The flowers do look like they have found their rightful home amidst all the wedding gowns, so am hoping (and feeling scared) about getting some enquiries via that route. Mind you, I can remember feeling the same about market stalls earlier in the year and now take these in my stride.

Roses, ammi majus, nigella and astrantia in a vintage glass vase. By Tuckshop Flowers


I'm spoilt for choice in the garden at the moment for scent, colour and form. Even picked my first dahlia last week, so am hoping that they will all start swinging into action over the next few weeks. 

Must get down to the allotment today to tie in all my sweet peas and to check on the progress of the soft fruit. Am pretty sure the gooseberries will be ready for picking, and with any luck the fat pigeons will not have torpedoed the netting on my cherry tree.  Last time I checked, it looks like being my best ever cherry crop (the tree is now about 5 years old), so am very excited as they are one of my favourite summer eats.  The redcurrants in my gardens are also starting to blush and I'm hoping that the ones on the plot are slightly further on as they get a bit more sun in that location.  I sense a jam making extravaganza in the next few weeks so will have to start burning the midnight oil to process all my garden bounty at this rate!



7 comments:

  1. Wonderful bouquets...I am just beginning to appreciate the value and versatility of roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are one of my many favourites. Even the ones with skinny short stems make lovely small posies and smell amazing if you pick the right varieties. No Kenyan imports for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always lovely flower bouquets in the cups and saucers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see my golden syrup tins and marmite jars... Found a gorgeous old tea tin today which I will reserve for special occasions!

      Delete
    2. If you go to Facebook, you can like my flowers page 'Tuckshop Flowers' and then you can see more.

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love the tea cup arrangements! I found you on Blooming Blogs--so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! People always tend to coo over the stalls I do at markets, so I think I'm going along the right lines. Have now just got to work out how to sell what I do really effectively. Thanks for your vote of confidence.

      Delete