Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Out with the old

Alchemilla Mollis - Lady's Mantle

A spot of pre-spring cleaning in the borders today.  Cleared away old stems, leaves etc from last year's perennials so things are already starting to look a bit more business like in the borders.  Also moved plants around in the new patio border I've made - all the stuff which used to spill out onto the hard-surfacing, like alchemilla mollis,  now finds itself at the back of a very deep border, so I've had to hoick it forward into a new position at the front so that it doesn't get completely lost when I finish planting up.   Also moved small herbaceous plants like knapweed and snapdragons further forward - want to get the benefit of their colours for impact near the front, and also want to get them repeating through the border  so that it doesn't look bitty.  Amazing how many plants you can get from one sowing of snapdragon seeds last year!  Have to say my planting out last year was of the 'stick them in before they die' variety, but they seem to have survived and flourished - just that the clumps of now respectable sized plants now need thinning out and the tops pinching out to encourage them to plump up a bit.

The lethal blade of grandma's old spade inflicted its divisive blows on a few chunks of hardy geraniums and irises.   Dotted them together in groups in empty patches.  Enjoyed yanking out congested clumps of michaelmas daisies as well - they're lovely in autumn, but real bruisers that will take over swathes of flower border if left to their own creeping devices.  Out out creepy roots....

No comments:

Post a Comment