Tuesday 1 January 2013

New blooms for New Year


They didn't quite make it in for Christmas, but my forced hyacinths decided to join the party for New Year. (Note to self - must make a note of when I start them off next year, so I can guesstimate how to adjust the timing to get them to flower for the start of the festive season).

Not bad for pound shop bulbs - a cheap present for myself.   Trying to forecast the colour was a bit like guessing delightful plastic content of a Christmas cracker. Their hyacinthy scent has replaced defunct piney wafts from my crispy tree in the living room, breathing a bit of floral life into 2013.  It's the first time I've forced hyacinths in water and have to confess that I have become quite taken with the aesthetic qualities of  their fleshy, slightly creepy, white roots in the glass vases.


 Look at that blue! What a great colour to bring in the year.

On which note, thought I'd better show you something amazing which I spotted outside my window this morning.


Happy New Year and a fruitful and floriferous 2013 to all!




2 comments:

  1. Your house must smell wonderful at the moment with your Hyacinths, such a gorgeous perfume. Love the sky, I photographed ours too for my blog, so long since we have had blue sky and sunshine!!
    Happy New Year and hopefully a drier year for us in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you for 2013. Back under that snug blanket of grey cloud today though....

      Delete