Friday 6 September 2013

Autumn rains


Hedge cutting in the rain today, admiring a client's tree, heavy with figs.  Seemed funny to pluck a ripe fig under grey West Midlands skies, but the sticky pulpy fruit was none the less delicious for it.  What a great summer we've had.  Sunshine, showers and more sunshine.  It might not even have gone completely yet either, just having a rest?  Let's hope we can eek it out for a little longer.  Sooooooo much better than last year's dismal effort at seasonality anyway.

A good fruit year with abundant damson crops.  Yippee!
My dahlias are still going bonkers, raspberries, apples and damsons are drooping in weighty bundles and the spires of gladioli puncuate my borders.  I guess that means it is September - and I still haven't been blackberry picking. A lack of purple jam tells its own tale so I don't think scoffing hedgerow fruits with my son on the way back from school counts as proper blackberrying.




A grabbed trip to the allotment on Monday night gifted me a carrier bag of runner and French beans, a hessian shopper full of eating apples, a collection of turnips and a to do list which includes digging up the rest of the potatoes and tying up the tomatoes properly in an attempt to help them ripen before the frosts arrive.  They are scrambling all over the floor at the moment. Bad, bad, BAD allotmenteer.

On the flowery front, I also need to get my September sowings in.  Based on last year, I'm going to sow in trays in the greenhouse, with just a couple of direct sowings in the garden as a point of comparison.  Can't believe that I've nearly completed my first year as a flower grower and have to say that I've loved it, despite the early mornings!

Allotment open day arrives on Saturday and the forecast is for more rain.  I might not get around to any cakery makery, but will be able to donate a bucket of mixed flowers and a rather wimpy gazebo to the allotment cause.  I just hope that plot inspection is not imminent - especially by an expert tomato grower...

Dahlia 'peaches' with lambs ears.
Dahlia 'peaches'



3 comments:

  1. What do you do with your damsons? Looks like a fabulous harvest. I went scrumping in my sister's garden the other day and discovered a plum tree she didn't know she had. Planning on plum crumble this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - just came across a recipe cut out of a National Trust magazine last year for damson and white chocolate cupcakes which were out of this world delicious when made. Will have to share the recipe when I do a full damson post when they ripen...

      Delete
  2. Damson jam (or jelly, if you cannot be bothered with the faff of picking out all the stones) is always a winner, and damson gin, made now and ready for Christmas, is a blissful cold season treat. Don't know which I like most. Just as well this year's crop looks like it will be able to furnish enough for both...

    ReplyDelete