Sunday 8 September 2013

Blackberries: the pain and the pleasure




Nettle tingles and searing scratches ripple through my typing fingers this evening, and 6 jars of blackberry and apple jam stand on the worktop for my pains.  But despite the scars (and they are abundant), there is something deeply satisfying about blackberrying - it marks the end of summerness and the start of the slow slide towards autumn.  I love the fact that my children love it too - munching dark, stainy mouthfuls and spitting out seeds, reluctantly dislodged from dental crevices.

Why, my younger son asks, do the best berries always dangle from the most inaccessible part of the bramble eruption?  Not quite so inaccessible to my longer arms, but still an annoyingly uncomfortable and often scratchy reach.  Dress carefully for such forays - tough old jeans, long sleeves and boots to stomp down the accompanying nettles - or regret it at your peril.

An afternoon of bush-lurking, to the backing track of of Sunday league ladies football ("Come on! We can DO this.") has resulted in about 3 kilos of blackberries, some of which have been dispatched to the deep freeze until I buy further lemon and sugar stocks to foster the next bout of preserving frenzy.  


But look at these almost metallic beauties with their juicy juice-bags.  Yum, yum, yum. Ouch, ouch, ouch. More painful than Estonian mushrooming, but just as satisfying.

6 comments:

  1. It's painful but satisfying indeed. On my early morning walks with Snarf I took a bucket with me for picking blackberries too last week. Black juicy hands and scratches on my arms, but the result was a delicious blackberry pie and some pots of jam.
    Have a nice gardening week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam outlasts the scratches, so I suppose that it the compensation...

      Delete
  2. I made blackberry and apple crumble yesterday. We've started picking blackberries, there are loads along the lane where our allotments are, plenty for everyone. I still have some in the freezer from last year too I will be making blackberry gin soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Had forgotten about my intention to do that one, thanks for the reminder! Might try making some cordial too. The blackberries yesterday were generally massive - you know you've hit a good patch when you just don't bother with the ones which are small and very knobbly. Think they are one of my favourite cooking fruits though. Brilliant that they combine and coincide with apples so well.

      Delete
  3. Blackberries are great. I'm more inclined to pick them since we've gotten an allotment. I think when you you work your arse off to get some crops going, free, effortless food is a very welcome bonus which can't be ignored! Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Arse moving always good... I'm even more inspired after my foraging holiday so will have to really investigate my foraging handbooks which always fill me with good intentions.

      Delete