Sunday 15 September 2013

Dahlias of infinite generosity


The weather may be tending towards autumn, but those dahlias just keep on coming. Every time I look at my dahlia bed, I'm gobsmacked by the amount of flowers which have appeared since I last saw it.  Witteman's Best, the crimson dahlia, is still out there in front in terms of quantity and quality of blooms, and being reliably long stemmed - I really have fallen for that one in a big way.  Rip City, the dark, nearly black, beauty has been lovely, but has, in my experience, a tendency to be a bit short in the stem and hasn't had anywhere near as many flowery explosions as its scarlet cousin.

My forays into flower arranging have also led me to a new favourite colour combination which I will aim to replicate more in the garden next year - peaches and ... not cream.... but silver.  Definitely need more silver foliage plants next year.  Lambs Ears are a treat to arrange with and always a hit both in bunches, and in the garden. Variegated pittosporum is also lovely for a pale and delicate foliage, whereas artichoke leaves do big and dramatic very well.

Honesty provides a gorgeous silver counterpoint to dahlia 'Peaches' when you peel off the nasty brown seed casings.

My mission this year is to chop down and remove all viburnums except bodanentse 'Dawn' in an attempt to get rid of viburnum beetle which has decimated all of its hosts except the aforementioned lady.  Maybe they will migrate to her in the absence of any other hosts but it has to be worth a go.  I will miss them as I love their early, neat flowers and their metallic blue berries, but I'm sick of the ragged leaves and the stench of beetle havoc.  So, out they will come this winter, and instead, I plan to plant more variegated or silver foliage shrubs.  I have my eye on variegated cornus plants, as that is such a great shrub for dramatic winter stems and also for foliage for cutting.

I do need, however, a replacement evergreen to screen my compost bins if my sizeable viburnum 'Eve Price' is going to be relieved of her sentry duty in that part of the garden.  Suggestions on a postcard please...
Viburnum Tinus Eve Price, showing early signs of beetle attack. Sorry mate, but you're going....

6 comments:

  1. What a shame about your Viburnums, do they get attacked every year, or is it worse in wet years? Agree with silver foliage, it sets off all flowers beautifully, and doesn't have that 'heavy' feeling with some of our more light and airy British cut flowers. Your dahlias are lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been attacked every year for the past 4 years or so, and now I've had enough. They smell!

      As for foliage, I absolutely detest my cherry laurel hedging, but think it actually looks OK with bright red dahlias. Every cloud....

      Which dark dahlias do you grow? I love RIp City, but as I said, find it a bit short stemmed and heavy headed for arranging, or maybe I've just got to learn to sacrifice buds and cut the whole main stems? Found Purple Gem to be a bit 'tatty' round the edges this year so won't do that one again even though the colour is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. Lovely arrangements ! Thanks for recommendations for good Dahlia varieties too. My faves are 'Fascination' and 'Bishop's children' at the mo.

    Viburnam beetle --- oh no! Something else to worry about ! Four days after someone told me about the Lily beetle, I found one on my lilies . I hope the same isn't true of the dreaded Vinurnam beetle !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the forces preserve you against viburnum beetle.

      I love Bishop's Children too - have grown it in the past, but haven't tried it for cutting. Do you know if the flowers have a reasonable stem length and vase life? Fascination is a favourite of mine too - must revisit it again next year.

      Delete
  3. I have always troubles with the beetles in the Viburnum tinus. I have often cut it back, but the beetles won't stop to attack this shrub. The other Viburnums are OK. Your Dahlia 'Peaches' looks lovely in the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Sadly the beetles seem to have really gone for my viburnum opulus as well - one of my absolute favourite shrubs, but it seems I'll have to live without it in the garden.... :(

      Delete